A visit to Walter Jones Historical Park is like a trip back to Old Florida. The 11 acre riverfront park is filled with historical treasures, including a 19th century restored farmhouse, barn, sawmill, winery and museum.
The Webb Farmhouse was built in 1875 for Major William Webb, a retired United States Army officer, and was later the home of Walter Jones, proprietor of the Mandarin Store and Post Office. It has been restored to its turn of the century appearance.
The park is definitely a nice spot to have a picnic in. There is a wide paved walkway through shaded trails, a riverfront boardwalk, and a long pier extending into the St. Johns River. Facilities include picnic pavilions with grills. The museum and farmhouse are open on Saturdays and by appointment.
The park is located on Mandarin Road, one block north of Loretto and is operated by the Mandarin Museum and Historical Society. The Society also presents a number of popular programs and festivals throughout the year. For more information, visit their website at http://mandarinmuseum.net.